Sunday, February 18, 2007

Can you ever go back home?



Mardi Gras is in the air here in BR, and today I started wondering how Mardi Gras would have gone over in Pratt City. I thought about it for all of 2 seconds before admitting that there is no way in hell that Carnival would have been tolerated at 212. None. Nada. Furgitabutit.

In fact, when I go back to B'ham, I don't recognize it. I don't feel at home. It's different. And that has me wondering if I could go home/move back and be comfortable.

The whole atmosphere is different. People talk funny -- did I talk like that? Do I talk like that now? When we first moved down here I couldn't open my mouth and utter three words before someone would ask (with wide eyes) where I was from. (Shhh! Don't tell anyone, but....I thought they had some nerve, what with the accents they have down this way. They thought I had an accent? WTF!)


Anywho....As we talk about moving back to Alabama, I find myself wondering more and more if we could really move back and fit in. And....wondering if it's home that's changed, or me who's changed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home